Monday, April 30

Nextflix Reviews - He Never Died

Want to know what to 'watch next' on Netflix? Check out my Nextflix Reviews


Well I gotta say this is an interesting film, not what I expected and not similar to any other film I can think of, just very unique. In this film we have Jack who is an anti-social loner it seems. From the beginning of the film he comes off as being on the autistic spectrum with traits of Asperger's being mainly monosyllabic and very blunt and matter of fact in his limited interactions. I am not sure if he is having memories or audible hallucinations or just on the cusp of dreaming but you keep hearing sounds that seem to suggest a very violent history, with sounds of torment and war. Does he suffer from mental illness or is he about to have a breakdown?

He seems to spend his days sleeping, playing some bingo, going to the diner and meeting up with a guy in a carpark to buy mysterious packages from him. He gets disturbed from his routine by a daughter he never knew he had popping up in his life and also the guy he buys stuff from is in trouble with some others he owes money to who get Jack involved in their business. Without this guy to supply him with his stuff he gets a bit antsy and unpredictable which can be bad for those around him. He also has a waitress in the diner who seems inexplicably interested in him.
I don't want to give any spoilers, in fact I'd say don't read the film blurb as I think it gives away a fact of the film it'd be better to have revealed through watching. Damn even the cover of it gives it away slightly but I suppose they need something intriguing to pull the viewers in.

As well as these things going on in his life he also has a strange elderly man popping up now and again who he seems to be concerned about. Things escalate massively with the thugs and at 1st he seems to be trying to ignore them but things are forced upon him and he has to act. The whole time doing crazy stuff in an almost emotionless manner. It's a really dark, interesting, sometimes almost funny and certainly pretty unique film, I really enjoyed it but wouldn't know how to classify it exactly. Is it a horror? A thriller? An action movie? I dunno give it a watch and see what you think.

It stars Henry Rollins of Black Flag fame, he also did some solo music stuff, some other acting and some TV show presenting too as I recall. I just got into reading his bio on Wikipedia actually and he's done quite a lot of movie work, including the voices of Mad Stan in Batman Beyond, Benjamin Knox/Bonk in Batman Beyond: Return of Joker and Kilowog in Green Lantern: Emerald Knights!!

*********************************************
Other movies with Henry Rollins

   

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...