Wednesday, December 12

Counting Comics - 23

I start off today with

DC = 6738
Marvel = 62
Others = 59


Demon (1987)
1 - 4
Demon Vol 2 1
The second volume of The Demon, I finally have ordered Volume 1 so my Demon archive is almost complete, I dare say he has appeared in a hundred other cameos in places here and there, I could try and hunt them all down but I don't think I'll be over concerned with it.

The Demon (1990 - 1995)
0 - 58
Annual #1 (1992)
Annual #2 (1993)
Cover
This is one of my most favourite comic runs EVER. Starting with Alan Grant and Vals Semeiks for about 40 issues and ending with the Garth Ennis/John McCrea it's just a really great run that I love to re-read every now and again. It's full of humour, great art and enthralling stories. I have Etrigan from the cover of #1 painted on the sleeve of my leather jacket, he's a bit worn out now but my love for this run never will!! Oh yeah one of the annuals, (#2 I reckon), introduced Hitman too and he had a great run of his own.


Lobo/Demon: Helloween #1 (1996)
Cover
Demon hires Lobo to help him kill the Guardian of Gold so he cannot stop the arrival and destruction of Earth by the Sun-God's evil shadow Malak-Karu. The pair are happy to sit back and watch the World's destruction until it ends up swallowing them both and they have to end up saving themselves and the Earth in the process.

DC Comics Presents #66 (Feb, 1984)
Cover
A wooden statue of a druid, Blackbriar Thorn, comes to life and the superhero and the hellish Demon team-up to battle him. This was the 1st appearance of the druidic villain a criminal who's magic powers makes him a true challenge for the Kryptonian hero who is weak against the mystical arts.

Brave and the Bold #137
Cover
I am pretty sure I have 2 of these comics, one in my Brave and the Bold run and one here with my other Demon books!! No problem, you can't get enough Demon really can you?

The Demon: Driven Out (2003 - 04)
1 - 6
Cover
Etrigan has somehow left the body of Jason Blood and entered a young street car racer named Ame Okumura. This 6 parter details the chaos and destruction that ensues as Jason seeks to properly recontain the demon.

Outsiders Special #1 (1987)
Cover
The Outsiders and Infinity, Inc. battle the forces of an apparently resurrected Baron Bedlam in Markovia. But the Baron is not all that he seems; he's actually the Psycho-Pirate, and the two teams are in more trouble than they realize!

Infinity Inc Special #1 (1987)
Cover
This issue lists itself as taking place between Infinity Inc. #42-43 and Outsiders #21-22. This directly contradicts the previous issue Outsiders Special #1, where Major Victory made an explicit reference to Outsiders #23. In other words if even the story writers can't keep track of continuity how are us readers meant to? 😆

Batman and the Outsiders (1983 - 87)
6 - 21, 24, 26, 27, 29, 37
Annual #1 (1984)
Annual # 2 (1985)
Cover
This is another run that I'd LOVE to complete, I think I have a few others loose somewhere I need to unite with this box. Also I REALLY want #1, that cover is bloody iconic in my opinion. It's another of them confusing runs, from 1 - 32 it went under this title then from then to it's end with #46 it was called Adventures of the Outsiders after Batman left.

The Outsiders (1985 - 88)
1 - 15, 18 - 26
Annual #1 (1986)
Cover
I think I need just 4 more to complete this run, let's add it to the future potential get these comics list! Actually 27 & 28 are Millennium crossovers that I may well have in another box. Ah comics why must you be so bloody awkward?? Also what is it with these running concurrently with the other Outsiders' title!?

Outsiders (1993 - 95)
0, 1(x2) - 6, 9 - 11, 14 - 24
Cover
This book starts with 2 number ones, the men's book 'Alpha' has a tale called "Blood and Ashes" whilst the women characters' book 'Omega' is titled "Ashes and Blood". I don't mind variant covers when they have a different story inside. Variants for variants sake is just dumb though and I'll have no truck with it!! This ran for 24 issues and I have no idea why I have a couple of issues missing here and there, that sucks! Ah yes there are a few new Outsiders here that I forgot the names of, the Iron Man type of dude is Technocrat and the were-bear is Wylde. Eradicator joins the ranks too and Sebastian Faust is the son of the villainous Felix who has battled many heroes over the years since his 1st appearance in Justice League of America #10 in 1962.

Captain America
128, 282, 298, 303, 306, 311, 313, 315 - 316, 318 - 340, 342 - 348, 350 - 441, 443 - 452
Annual #8 (1986)
Annual #13 (1994)
Captain America Vol 1 128
I am liking this earliest Captain America that I have in my collection here but my personal grail is Captain A #117, 1 day it will be mine!! It is from Septemeber 1969 making it one of my 'birthday books' cover dated the same month as I was born. It features the 1st appearance if my birthday brother The Falcon. At 1 time this run of the Cap was my favourite monthly pick-up, I loved how he got stuck in with his fist, feet and shield and dealt with evil-doers. Diamonback was a cool side kick/love interest, D-Man was cool too and enemies like the Serpent Society and Crossbones were a lot of fun also. Come the 90's and something went awry with Marvel for me, the art went downhill, the stories were not engaging and I ended up going full DC which I felt were much better books at the time and have not gone back. For me I like the old Marvel titles and am currently trying to get a run of Alpha Flight, Ghost Rider and Spider-Woman together.

Captain America #5 (1997)
Captain America Vol 2 5
I need to clear out these nothing books that I picked up. I have no intention of completing this run so I should really try and sell it off and put the money to picking up a gap in the classic run of the Captain.

Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty (1998)
Captain America Sentinel of Liberty Vol 1 1
Yep this one can sod off too, taking up space in my long box 😂

Captain America: Dead Man Running #1
Captain America Dead Men Running Vol 1 1
You're going too!!

Heroes Return: Captain America
2, 3
Captain America Vol 2 2
Oh Rob Liefeld sometimes I like your art but most often it's just..... ugh!

Captain America: The Medusa Effect #1
Captain America The Medusa Effect Vol 1 1
Ditto

Captain America: The Drug Wars #1 (1994)
Captain America Drug War Vol 1 1
I think this is the right cover, the year says 1994 on the wiki but I had it down as 1993.

U.S.Agent (1993)
1 - 4
U.S. Agent Vol 1 1
I will keep this one as it's a full run and I had the full story of how Super-Patriot ended up becoming the new Captain America for a time and then eventually the U.S. Agent. John Walker is a hard guy to love as a character but you can certainly feel pity for him after the death of his parents he goes a tad on the nutty side. I'm not sure if that happens in the mini though. He debuted in Captain America #323 in 1986.

Fantastic Four
223, 249, 269, 274, 284, 304 - 313, 315, 318, 320 - 343, 347, 348, 360, 362 - 364, 366 - 370, 374
Annual #19 (1985)
Fantastic Four Vol 1 223
I suppose that the FF were never my favourite team but their comic was cool enough. I can't remember a great deal of this run really. I recall Ms Marvel, (not that one), becoming a kind of She-Thing and hating herself for being ugly but Ben Grimm loved her and looked forward to having a girlfriend he could really "bump boulders with"!! (haha that was totally my words, it's not said as such in the comics but you know it's true he totally had a rock on for her stoney fissure!!

The Thing (1983 - 86)
14, 18, 27, 29, 32
Thing Vol 1 14
Ma Grimm's blue-eyed boy in his own book that can only mean one thing surely?? That's right Thing-fans, "It's Clobbering Time!!!" I don't have too many of these but I would certainly consider trying to pick up the rest of the set at some point.

Marvel Two-In-One
48, 86, 94, 98
Marvel Two-In-One Vol 1 48
I always figured that I had more issues of these comics but sadly it appears not! Perhaps I'll pick some up in the future, money, time and space permitting. I would certainly like to as these normally self-contained team-up books were always highly enjoyable I thought. There's no fluke that I have this Jack of Hearts issue, he is one of Marvel's characters that I have always tried to pick up when I've seen it as I always liked his look. I need to add his 1st appearance which is Deadly Hands of Kung Fu Vol 1 #22 from 1976 to my comics wish list.

Mephisto Vs (1987)
1 - The Fantastic Four
2 - The X-Factor
3 - The X-Men
4 - The Avengers
Mephisto Vs Vol 1 1
Mephisto the malevolent demon main-man of Marvel  makes masterful machinations in this mini!! Basically he takes the soul of Sue Richards and trades-up with each issue of the run until he finally has the soul of the god Thor. Hela intervenes though saying that when Thor dies his soul will be his and Mephisto acquiesces, but as she leaves Mephisto laughs as his plot was more subtle than that and he achieved what he set out to do all along. I can't quite remember what that was exactly now, something to do with spreading discord and doubt and all that hoopla.

Which makes this week's totals
DC = 146
Marvel = 221


So the running total of my count now comes to -

DC = 6884
Marvel = 283
Others = 59

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...