Thursday, June 7

Movie Review - Vixen (The Movie)


Vixen was created by Gerry Conway and Bob Oksner and debuted in July 1981 in Action Comics #521. As I mentioned in my video I didn't think she'd ever had her own run of books. It was intended to give her a series at one point when she 1st emerged but it was forced to be cancelled. 


She has featured primarily in team books such as The Justice League and The Suicide Squad. I can't recall her from Suicide Squad at all but it seems she joined them initially to get revenge on a murderous smuggler then when she was struggling to control her animal side she stayed on a more long term basis, she also had a romance with the Bronze Tiger, (a long time squad member), for a time.

In 2008 she had a 5-issue mini-series called Vixen: Return of the Lion which chronicles her 1st return to her home village where she confronts the warlord who killed her mother and has since taken over several Zambesi villages.

I did a bit of research now on this and found that indeed this DVD is made up of 2 season's of a web series that streamed on CW's online viewing platform with 15 minutes of added footage and a couple of her appearances from Justice League Unlimited and a featurette as added DVD extras. Each season ran for 6 episodes of 4 - 7 minutes in length which you think might make it seem a bit jumbled being compressed together on one DVD as a full length film but it works fine I think.
Cover art of Justice League of America: Vixen #1 (January 2017).
Art by Ivan Reis.

It is set in the Arrowverse which is the name given to the DC TV shows continuity which air on the CW network. The original cast members of The Arrow & Flash TV shows turn up many times in the cartoon and are voiced by the actors who portray them in the live action versions. So we see guest star outings from Flash, Arrow, Felicity, Cisco, Atom & Black Canary. Also as I am not at all caught up on the live action franchises I did not know that Mari McCabe/Vixen has also got a live action version, played by Megalyn Echikunwoke, (who also provides her voice for this film),  she looks very much ideal for the part going by this picture of her.
She has so far only appeared in 1 episode from Arrow season 4 but an ancestor of the character was played by Maisie Richardson-Sellers in season 2 of Legends of Tomorrow. I must have seen that I am sure but forgotten about it as Mr Memory is NOT my superhero name!!
Amaya Jiwe is Mari McCabe's grandmother
Another bonus with the DVD is that it comes with a digital download on Ultraviolet so you can watch it on your devices on the go. I've got quite a catalogue of Super films on my Flixster account now, I just wish they all came with that option.

*************************************************


     

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...