Friday, June 22

Geek Tee Friday - Wayne Aerospace

Check out my other Geek Tee BLOGS

Here we go another Geek Tee Friday post with the 4th of the shirts I got from Loudshop which I did an opening video of HERE

This was probably the least exciting of the shirts I got for my mind, it doesn't scream "Superhero" to me and I'd imagine that anyone not versed on the Batman character might think it's a shirt from a real company!! Perhaps they'll think I'm in the employ of a leading scientific tech company and think I'm a super-science boffin!! So maybe it's cool for that. 

This shirt came with a Justice League movie label but I can't say I recall it from the movie at all!? (Check out my blog HERE if you wanna see my thoughts on the film) So I thought I'd do a blog about it, as you do! I actually found a real company called Wayne Corporation which later became Divco-Wayne and had some dabbling in aerospace tech for a time!! This is from Wikipedia,

From 1958 to 1959, the company owned Divco-Wayne Electronics. In a $1.5 million purchase of the Electronics Division of Gruen Watch Company of Cincinnati, Ohio, Divco-Wayne sought to enter the aerospace technology segment. After poor results, the Electronics Division was sold off.

For the purposes of Batman though we have to talk about Wayne Enterprises, Inc, also know as WayneCorp, that operates out of Gotham from it's headquarters of Wayne Tower. The company along with the charitable organisation the Wayne Foundation, also headed by Bruce "Batman" Wayne, is ran day-to-day by Lucius Fox, a very capable and trusted employee. I am unsure if in current canon Fox knows of Wayne's other hero self, I do recall that he does in Nolan's Batman movies, where he is played by Morgan Freeman. 


Originally founded as a merchant house back in the 18th century by brothers Judge Solomon Wayne and Joshua Simon Wayne, it soon flourished with the city of Gotham springing up around it. Alan Wayne, Bruce's great, great grandfather turned it into a corporate company in the 19th century, it was made into a green company too, trying to be aware and take steps to limit it's environmental impact. It's among the oldest companies in the DC Universe and has a vast array of interests, with branches for Security, Research, Foods, Shipping, Biotech, Electronics, Chemicals, Steel, Entertainment and Medical to name but a few.



Here is the entry for Wayne Aerospace stolen straight from Wikipedia for you to check out!!


Wayne Aerospace

Wayne Aerospace is a subsidiary of Wayne Technologies and remains one of the more highly successful divisions of Wayne Enterprises. It has its own airline called Wayne Airlines and an aviation division called Wayne Aviation. The aerospace division is a major military defense contractor within Gotham and the United States. W.A. currently owns 20% of Lockheed Martin's weapons division. The W.A. is mostly known for its extremely well structured, luxurious and exclusive corporate and private jets and airliners. Much like the Gulfstream, Wayne Enterprises tries to keep the Slipstream corporate jets out of the hands of celebrities and sells them mostly to large corporations. This in turn has made the Slipstream into a cult item among the rich because it is fashionable to have a plane as a status symbol of wealth. Wayne Aerospace's experimental aviation branch produces experimental and the research planes built for NASA. The military aviation branch designs and manufactures highly successful jet fighters and helicopters for the United States Air Forces. The most notable models of these are the W-4 Wraith fighter and the Kestrel attack helicopter. As the most prominent aerospace company in the region, Wayne Aerospace has a working partnership with Eagle Air Force Base near Gotham City. Wayne Aerospace is also responsible for maintaining the systems and the planes for the Archie Goodwin International Airport in Little Stockton, in Gotham. Wayne Aerospace maintains good natured competition with other aerospace corporations like Ferris Air and its nemesis, LexAir.

The division has generated millions of dollars for Wayne Enterprises. The company's government contracts and space exploration contracts with NASA have been very lucrative. Wayne Aerospace's most important mission is to provide the latest technology and information for the Batman.



I don't remember hearing about an Archie Goodwin Airport before but it's obviously named in honour of the late great writer, editor and artist. Check out his full bio HERE but short version he did horror comics for Warren, cut his superhero teeth as the 1st writer for Iron Man in 1968, co-created Luke Cage in 1972, did a lot of work on Star Wars titles for Marvel & Epic comics and finished his career doing a lot of great work on Batman over at DC. I found this cool interview he did which sadly turned out to be his last, check it out HERE
There is even a character homage to him in Batman Adventures with a villain called Mr Nice!

Cheers for checking out my blog, please have a browse at my other pages 😀


****************************************************


     

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...