Friday, June 8

Movie Review - Justice League


OK my review is in the video really I just want to go over some of the history of Justice League, not the characters as such, more of the team itself. It was 1st put together by writer Gardner Fox in Brave and the Bold #28 in March 1960, (3 years before Marvel's The Avengers formed). 
The seven original members were Superman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Due to various re-write and shuffles for continuity this origin has altered a number of times with different people attributed to the original team. At one point Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman were retconned out of the 1st gathering of the league and in 1994 a new character Triumph was invented, it turns out he formed and led the team but a dimensional limbo led to him being erased from history and the memories of the team!

In November 1960 the team got it's 1st ongoing book, Justice League of America which ran until 1996 when it was renamed just JLA for a time. With a couple of relaunches the Justice League comics are now on their 3rd Volume and are the premier team book of the DC Universe.  The team line-up has changed over the years with pretty much anybody who is anybody of the DC universe getting an outing in the team. Check out the full list HERE.

Some of my favourites over the years have been - 
I just love his look and the way his powers manifest in the comics, he's a robot too! I wanted a good 70s picture but couldn't find one 😞


Ted Kord the 2nd Blue Beetle, (See BLOG) was great in his own book but at first I disliked the jokey nature of his run in the League.

Hello!! His head is on fire!! That makes his the coolest or should that be hottest look EVER!!

Over the years the Justice League have branched out at various times as the occasion required it, resulting in incarnations such as Justice League International, Justice League Europe, Justice League Dark, Justice League Taskforce, Extreme Justice, Justice League Antartica!!, and even Formally Known as the Justice League!

This is Koryak the son of Aquaman, I mentioned in the video that I thought Jason Mamoa's take on the king of the oceans looked like a cross between Arthur Curry traditional Aquaman and this bloke. For some reason I thought he had tattoos but it seems it was a case of my addled brain lying to me again. Old age huh? It sucks, unlike the Justice League film which kicked arse!!!

Cyborg was originally a member of the Teen-Titans and still is in the cartoons and possibly in the comics too, but with his ever increasing powers he became a strong member of the team as of the 2011 reboot and made it into the movie. He's also in the much lighter hearted Teen Titans animated movie which is coming soon and is slated for his own feature length film in 2020, cool! 
The New Teen Titans # 1 - November  1980

Poor old Green Lantern possibly due to the criminally poor acceptance of his movie never made the JLA cut and that other green fellow the Martian Manhunter although strongly represented in the cartoons never got to be in the movie either though he is in the Super Girl TV series on CW.

As we know from the comics the team roster is open to change, perhaps when/if we get a 2nd movie in the franchise we'll see some new heroes entering the fold. I am hopeful and excited to see what comes in the future.

****************************************


No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...