Wednesday, January 16

Counting Comics - 28

The totals carried over from last week are =

DC = 7598
Marvel = 433
Others = 69

Here's this week's books

L.E.G.I.O.N  (1989 - 94)
1 - 70
Cover
L.E.G.I.O.N. is the Licensed Extra-Governmental Interstellar Operatives Network, an inter-galactic police force that is hired by different planets. Their founder and leader is Brainiac 2, Vril Dox, who runs the organization out of their headquarters on planet Cairn. Their descendants in the 30th Century became the Legion of Super-Heroes. L.E.G.I.O.N. was created by Keith Giffen, Bill Mantlo, and Todd McFarlane, first appearing in Invasion! #1. (1988) The line-up of the team for issue #1 is Vril Dox, Garryn Bek, Lyrissa Mallor, Strata, Durlan and Stealth.

Annuals
2, 3, 4, 5
Cover
I managed to pick up the 1st annual at the con I went to, so that was very satisfying as I think I have them all now yay!!

Trinity
1, 2
Cover

Darkstars
11, 12
Cover

Green Lantern
44
Cover
The Trinity crossover involved L.E.G.I.O.N., Darkstars and the Green Lantern Corps fighting the resurrected Gods of Maltus; the super powerful giants Archor, Quarra & Tzodar. 
I've mentioned it a number of times that Bertron Diib a lovable character from the R.E.C.R.U.I.T.S, (a sort-of training group for L.E.G.I.O.N), died in this story, giving his life whilst trying to save some innocent citizens of Maltus.

R.E.B.E.L.S. '94, '95, '96
0 - 17
Cover
The R.E.B.E.L.S., were formed to oppose L.E.G.I.O.N. when it was taken over by the evil Brainiac 3, Vril Dox and Stealth's super intelligent infant son!! He used an enhanced charisma program to take over leadership of the L.E.G.I.O.N forcing the original core team to go on the run and seek to overthrow his regime.

Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes
Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes
256, 268, 270, 278, 284, 287, 290, 291, 293, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 326, 328, 329, 331, 337, 338, 340, 341, 344, 346
Cover
I've been trying to fill in a few gaps in this run but keep picking up doubles by accident annoyingly. This is a tricky comic to collect as well as I think it changes name 3 times. Superboy (Volume 1) began publication in March-April of 1949. By issue #197, Superboy began having adventures in the 30th century with his friends, the Legion of Super-Heroes. Beginning that same issue, the Legion became reoccurring characters in the series, and even shared cover credit on each issue. With issue #222, the title officially changed to Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes. By the end of 1979, Superboy returned to the 20th century, and with issue #259 the series became known as the Legion of Super-Heroes and then with #313, it was renamed, Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes. Yeah so no confusion there at all eh?? I am trying to get a run together of these anyway, (maybe 250 - 350), as they are all pretty cool stories.

Annual #2 (1983)
Cover

The Legion of Substitute Heroes Special #1 (1985)
Cover
L.E.G.I.O.N. had the raw but overall pretty capable R.E.C.R.U.I.T.S. their far future descendants have the Legion of Substitute Heroes who are mainly portrayed humorously as incompetent bumblers with funky powers. They are normally a pretty fun read, although I don't think they ever got a series of their own at all, they did get an episode of the LSH cartoon though which is well worth watching if you can find it on YouTube or anywhere.

Legion of Super-Heroes (1989 - 00)
0, 57, 62 - 69 
Cover
Annuals
5, 6, 7
Cover
I don't have too many of this run, which goes for over 130 issues when you count annuals, 0 & 1 Million), but maybe I can pick them up fairly cheap as I don't think there are too many keys in them. This gets a bit confusing though as from 1993 we had Legionnaires pop-up as well and I'm not sure if the titles crossed over for a while, the way I filed these in the box makes me think that they possibly were.

Legionaires (1993 - 00)
0 - 14, 18 - 20, 22 - 24
Cover
Annuals
1, 2
Cover
The Batch SW6 Legion, more commonly known as the Legionnaires, were a group of time paradox duplicates of the original Legion of Super-Heroes. Originally they were believed to be clones developed by the Dominators, but it was later revealed that their creation had actually been engineered by the Time Trapper. Attempting to prevent the cataclysmic destruction to the entire 31st Century that would take place during the events of Zero Hour, the Time Trapper created temporal duplicates of the Legion of Super-Heroes, from the point in time when he believed they were at their strongest, just prior to the death of Ferro Lad. The duplicate Legionnaires were placed in stasis for many years, and remained much younger than their regular counterparts until their awakening. Yep, clones and time stuff the basic building blocks to create head scratching storylines and plots lol. This went for over 80 issues all in and may be another that I'll look into picking up in full sometime in the future.

The Legion
8, 9
Cover

Justice League Europe/International (1989 - 94)
1 - 68
Cover
JLE was a pretty fun book, it ran alongside a JLA book at the same time, the series featured tongue-in-cheek humor but was a much more action-centric series than Justice League America. The action-themed nature of the series was most overt with the series' most famous arc "The Extremists". The arc featured the JLE fighting The Extremists, a cadre of psychopathic villains patterned after Marvel Comics villains Doctor Doom, Magneto, Doctor Octopus, Sabretooth and Dormammu.
The team was originally headquartered in Paris, France but later moved to an abandoned castle in Great Britain.. With issue #51, the title changed to Justice League International, a name formerly shared by Justice League America for a brief time.

Justice League Spectacular #1 (1992)
Cover

Annual
1, 2
Cover

Huntress (1989 - 90)
1 - 19
Cover
The original Huntress is a member of the BatFamily, named Helena Wayne and written as the daughter of Batman and Catwoman on Earth-Two. She was re-written as Helena Bertinelli a devout Catholic Italian-American, the orphaned daughter of a murdered mafia family who grew up swearing deadly vengeance on the criminal underworld. This was the new Huntress' 1st appearance created by Joey Cavalieri and Joe Staton.

Secret Origins #2
Blue Beetle
Cover

Blue Beetle (1986 - 88)
1 - 24
Cover
After Crisis on Infinite Earth the Charlton superheroes that DC had recently acquired came over to the main DC Universe and the 2nd Blue Beetle, Ted Kord got a 2 year run in his own book. Ted Kord was created by Steve Ditko, first appearing in Captain Atom (Charlton) #83. (1966). Another Ditko character The Question pops up in the book too. After his book folded he joined the JLA, in a run where he was turned into a bit of a joke and I must admit I really hated this JLA series when it 1st came out.

Showcase '93
1 - 12
Cover
These were really cool series that ran for 4 years, I don't know why they don't just do these all the time, they are great for telling short stories keeping lesser used characters in the public eye etc I imagine they can see if a lesser used character is liked and maybe make a series of it if they are.

Showcase '94
1 - 12
Cover

Showcase '95
1 - 12
Cover

Showcase '96
1 - 12
Cover

So today's total is 
DC = 331

Making the running total so far as -

DC = 7929
Marvel = 433
Others = 69

Come back next week to check out some more on my comics

      


***********************************



***********************************

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel

And add my Facebook page too!!

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...