Friday, July 6

Nextflix Reviews - The Limehouse Golem

Want to know what to 'watch next' on Netflix? Check out my Nextflix Reviews


I remember seeing adverts for this when it hit the cinemas and it looked pretty good to me so as soon as I saw it pop up on Netflix I watched it with my girlfriend. Set in Victorian London before the days when Jack the Ripper terrified the city there was another serial killer gripping the populace with fear and morbid fascination. They've been dubbed the Golem after the killer left a part of a Rabbi's anatomy on the page of a book in a section about the Jewish folklore creature of that name. 

Bill Nighy plays John Kildare, a vice detective moved to homicide as they are clueless, and need a scapegoat to shaft if the killer is not caught. Rumours about Kildare have damaged his reputation so he is chosen to take over the case and shoulder the blame. Assisted by local police man George Flood (Daniel Mays) they get an emphatic lead that points to the killer being one of 4 men.


This leads to another story altogether, one of the suspects John Cree has been murdered, poisoned, and the blame has been placed upon his wife Lizzie. Kildare is convinced that she killed her husband after discovering that he was the Golem and seeks to prove it so she can possibly avoid being executed once these extenuating circumstances come to light. Kildare and Flood follow through the clues, question the living suspects and through interviews with Lizzie, Kildare gets into her history finding out how she met John Cree.

This takes us into her story, from a harsh early life she manages to find a place and begins to thrive in the theatre. She meets and becomes good friends with Dan Leno a star in the music halls and is taken under his wing. John Cree is a theatre critic and aspiring playwright who becomes besotted with Lizzie. The historical story crosses over with the present day investigation as Kildare struggles to identify the killer as Lizzie's husband before she feels the cut of the hangman's noose.

I found this to be a very enjoyable movie, the actors are all excellent, the settings and plot are engrossing and there is a bit of gruesome murder too, so something for everyone. Erm... well not for kids though... obviously!

*************************************

      

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...