Friday, July 20

Geek Tee Friday - Judge Dredd

Check out my other Geek Tee BLOGS

Gaze into the fist of Grey

This week's shirt features the baddest Law Man in fiction, Judge Dredd,  who has been "The Law" in British comic 2000AD since it's 2nd issue, way back in 1977 when 2000AD personified "the future" instead of being quite a while ago, as it is now!! He is the brainchild of writer John Wagner and artist Carlos Ezquerra, who I have to say is possibly my favourite artist ever. Although in the 1st appearance of Dredd in the comic it was in a story written by freelancer Peter Harris with re-writes by Pat Mills, and drawn by Mike McMahon.

Judge Death 1st appeared in Prog 149, (in 1980), he was a terrifying supernatural Judge from another dimension Deadworld where they decided that as all crime was commited by the living then life itself would be a crime. The city is guilty, the crime is life, the sentence is death!! He was eventually defeated; after his body was destroyed, his spirit inhabited the Psi-Judge Anderson and they captured her and Death's spirit in Boing®, a spray on plastic that turned people into human pinballs.


Later in Prog 224, (8 August 1981), in a story written by John Wagner/Alan Grant with art by Brian Bolland, some of Death's brother Dark Judges from his world, Fear, Fire & Mortis came to free him from his captivity and continue bringing their brand of justice to Mega City One's "lawless" populace. Fear has the ability to literally scare a person to death but in this classic panel by Brian Bolland it's illustrated just how tough Dredd is, whereas a normal human would collapse and die he punches straight through Fear's helmet.

I must admit to not having read much Dredd in my later years, 2000AD started losing it's appeal to me with some of it's stories and art not capturing my interest at all but Dredd is always cool. 

There have been 2 Dredd movies too but I only like to talk about one of them, the Karl Urban one from 2012 was really cool and I have high hopes for the proposed TV series and really wish that it has great success when/if we get to see it!

******************************************

      

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...