Sunday, January 21

Justice League of America - Vol.1 The Extremists


Written by rising star Steve Orlando (BATMAN, MIDNIGHTER) and illustrated by a league of superstar artists including Ivan Reis (GREEN LANTERN) and Andy MacDonald (DETECTIVE COMICS), this JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD spin-off is a JLA for a whole new era--exploding from the pages of the blockbuster DC Rebirth event!

OK that's the blurb above on this new book giving you the who dunnit and all that, but how was it? Well I got this as a present from my dad and having not read any comics for a fair while now I wasn't up to date with events at all and I kind of judged the book by the cover a bit and guessed it wrong. I was thinking that this was a new alternate Justice League team called The Extremists. I saw Lobo and Killer Frost and figured it was a down and dirty team designed to do the jobs that the main JLA didn't want to sully themselves with. I seem to recall there was a team like this back in the 90's I think but I can't remember what they were called. I think Captain Atom led them and Amazing Man and maybe Booster Gold were in the team but the memory is hazy. I'll have to go through my long boxes and have a re-read sometime soon I reckon. Also I was given another book that I thought was another JLA team but was actually a prequel somehow to this. I read them in the wrong order too :( 

As a 1st book in the new series, similar to some of the others I have reviewed recently (See Saga, Super Sons, Trinity), this is very much an introduction to the team. You get the whole formation story and get some interplay between the new team members. Batman as ever is the driving force, he wants the team to be down to earth and seen by humanity rather than floating above it on the satellite. (This seem familiar too from somewhere) Black Canary is there to keep him in check and to keep him honest. Vixen has experience with the league, Lobo owes Batman for something and supplies the muscle and the attitude. Killer Frost is being offered redemption after seeming to have overcome her need to fatally feed off of others heat. The Atom (Ray Palmer's protegee Ryan Choi) and The Ray are young heroes looking to learn from their experienced colleagues. So this new team forms and pretty much straight off the bat (no pun intended), The Extremists turn up. I remember these guys when they 1st showed up they were very formidable and they have popped back every now and again. They are a cool looking bunch of evil world conquerors and could prove to be more than a match for this fledgling Justice League. Can the new team find their feet and gel quickly enough to overcome this potentially world threatening force?

This is a cool start up for this newest iteration of the League, interesting relationships are forming, some questions are being raised and one or two secrets are starting to emerge. Time will tell if I ever get to learn what happens in later books, I'll have to wait and see when my next level up day comes around again.


  

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...