Tuesday, January 9

Trinity - Vol.1 Better Together


As mentioned before I had to quit buying comics a little while back due to various reasons and so now I only get to read new books after people buy stuff for me off of my Christmas and birthday lists. Here's the 1st of 4 books my dad picked up for me this year. I just tell him to go to my old comic book shop near where he lives and ask for any new DC books from the last couple of years. I am not up to date with current events anymore but I kind of think this is a re-re-launch of the DC Universe!! I swear they were just relaunching it when I had to quit and this is another rebirth since then, I could be wrong! 

There was a previous run of Trinity books featuring the 3 premier DC heroes back when I was still collecting. I think it was a weekly book, following on from the 52 comic run I believe. So I am used to seeing the 3 characters in a series together. However reading this with the stuff that has changed the whole chemistry seems different than it did before. In the old books they were old friends, here it seems a bit less certain, like they are not quite so familiar with each other. It seems as if this is a pretty new Superman as far as Batman & Wonder Woman are concerned. This Supes looks like the old fellow to me but I think there was a younger,  brasher, less compassionate version for a while. I think that Wonder Woman was in a relationship with that version of the hero and that he died! This new guy is married to Lois Lane and they have a son who's about 10 years old! I don't know if the story is told anywhere of his 1st decade and I know I won't be able to afford to buy all the books I am missing to find out! Still it makes for fun reading to pick up what titbits of information I can to find out what has transpired since last I read them. 

I don't want to post any spoilers or plot stuff too much, so I will keep it vague. Something odd starts happening to the team; is it some kind of weird time distortion? They start seeing visions or have they been transported in time somehow. All three travel together to significant events in each of their respective pasts. In each location they travel to a part of the characters histories is explored and realisation of essential truths about their characters are made and important threads from their lives are resolved. Basically it's a way to get to know what drives them and to get a view of what makes them what they are. There is also a lot of side chat, where the dynamics of their relationships with each other are explored. It's basically reintroducing the characters to the readers again in a clever way. I must be a bit of a comics nut or else this plot device has been used a few too many times but I figured out what was causing the events to happen before the reveal. 

This volume collects together issues 1 - 6 of the series, it was written and partially drawn by Francis Manapul, a name I am not familiar with, I imagine they are a new force on the scene as I don't recall the name at all. I enjoyed the read, it had cool characterization, nice action, great art but I saw it more of a re-introduction to the characters and their interplay and was more of a taste of things to come really. Now we know how they all are with each other, future stories can concentrate on further development and kicking the butts of some new super villains. I notice that Vol. 2 is available also with a pretty kick butt cover so that's going on my wishlist. :)

Diana, where can people buy these Trinity Volumes from??

      

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...