Friday, January 12

Movie review - Freehold


This was not what I was expecting really. The cover made me imagine one of those groups of people locked in the house whilst some unknown force stalks them kind of deals. After watching a couple of movies the same night that really weren't my cup of tea this was a breath of fresh air. (See A Ghost Story & The Ghoul) So rather than a group of party goers trespassing in the wrong creepy mansion, this was the story of Hussein, a bloke living in his slightly pokey but comfortable flat. A cocky estate agent by trade, he seemed like he was working class but had a bit of the gift of the gab and took to the slippery underhanded ways that estate agents are renowned for with aplomb. He was a bit of an Arthur Daley, a little dodgy maybe, but underneath he's alright. Well, of course he's only alright if his underhanded ways haven't affected you somehow. Haven't screwed up your life and left you homeless and vindictive and possibly a bit deranged. Which is what they have done to the man secretly living in various hiding places around his flat and emerging at night to seek his revenge in subtle ways. Ways that escalate as the film progresses, leaving Hussein isolated and paranoid and sick until eventually there is a confrontation.

A couple of interesting points to note. There was an inexplicable rap by one of the actors during the closing credits which I thought was an unusual move. It was in his character and sort of told of his motivation I suppose but it was pretty incongruous if you ask me. At least the other main actor never got into the act and finished off with a rap battle I suppose! Also Javier Botet starred as the home intruder. People may not recognise him out of extensive make-up as he normally plays zombies and demons in films like It, The Mummy and the upcoming Slender Man. Even without make up his gangly frame is almost disturbing!

I quite enjoyed this film, it had some cool acting and believable characters, the premise whilst not 100% original was done well. There was suspense and a bit of sick humour but definitely not for someone who is wanting a horror bloodfest at all.




No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...