Friday, January 12

Movie review - The Ghoul


I watched this film straight after A Ghost Story and I think that movie had drained my brain through sheer boredom and that didn't really help me with getting into it.


It started with some detectives investigating a case and talking about a ghoul, some one who was obsessed with hanging around police trying to find out grisly details about police procedures and having an overactive curiosity about gory crimes. So I am thinking they are looking for this individual. The next thing we see a guy who is clinically depressed and seeing psychiatrists to talk about his delusions about being a detective. He seems to mope around a lot, he spends some time trying to connect with an old flame and follows and befriends a fellow patient who he goes to a party with. At the party they talk positing the thought that "imagine instead of being a depressed person who dreams of being a undercover detective he is actually a detective pretending to be a depressed person pretending to be a detective"................ does that sentence even make sense? That was when I twigged that this was the detective from the beginning of the movie actually being undercover. I seem to have totally missed the point somewhere along the line I think, although I feel that the point wasn't really made in any way that was in the slightest bit engaging or able to pique my interest.

It's all a bit psychedelic maybe, it's definitely obscure and I suppose it's supposed to make you think but it just made me think that I'd picked some bloody naff movies this evening. There were hints of magic mentioned and a warning given but I felt no hint of menace or inkling of there being any kind of threat or trepidation and then there was some kind of ouroboros shenanigans and was he investigating crimes he himself committed in some weird cyclical twist? To be honest I didn't care enough about the film to try and fathom it out. Immortality something or other, existential blah blah..... pretty boring stuff.



***********************************************************

   

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...