Wednesday, April 25

Film Review - Wonder Woman



I am a sucker for a superhero movie and especially those with DC comics characters as I am a big DC fan. I won't disparage any Marvel movies cos they've all been pretty decent but it annoys me all these Marvel fans that slag off the DC movies. They have a different focus with their films, more serious, not trying to be buddy movies and comedies. I was really hopeful that Wonder Woman would be a success, otherwise all the DC naysayers would've jumped on it as they always do. So I went to see this at the cinema with high hopes and I was not disappointed and in fact I was pretty delighted as this film got practically universal appraise. So now I have it on DVD too as I have to keep my super-film collection as up to date as I can 👸 (I was looking for a smiley and this one looks a bit like Wonder Woman)

As mentioned before in my Wonder Woman blog Diana and her tribe of warrior woman, The Amazons live on Themyscira. She is born of magic, the youngest person on the island, shaped from clay by her mother Hippolyta and brought to life by a thunder bolt from Zeus. It is her destiny to battle the evil god of war Aries if he ever returns as he is expected to do some day. Isolated on their island though they do not realise that war has encompassed the world of man beyond their magically hidden borders. They are alerted soon enough when Steve Trevor, an american spy working for the British crash lands into the sea. Diana rescues him just in time for boatloads of pursuing Germans to emerge through the magical island obscuring fog. After a battle where some Amazons die and the Germans are all eliminated they question Trevor and Diana becomes convinced that Aries is abroad in man's world and is determined that it is her duty to go out and put a stop to him.

So Dianna accompanies Steve to man's world during the end days of WWI, the armistice is due to be declared but General Ludendorff who she determines to be Ares and his scientist Dr. Maru have plans to prolong the war and even perhaps win it with the creation of a new terrible poison gas weapon. 

There's plenty of action and a dash of humour as Dianna is out of her element and unfamiliar with the way man's world works, the role of women in this era not being like it is today, I think they'd only just got the right to vote at this point in time in the UK. As you can imagine the top brass won't listen to her and no one believes in ancient Greek gods anymore. Eventually Diana with Steve and a small team of his friends go to Europe to face the enemy head-on in some great action sequences and end up confronting Ludendorff who is planning to drop gas and Ares finally appears for an epic battle.

***********************************************

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...