Sunday, April 29

Nextflix Reviews - Game Over, Man!

Want to know what to 'watch next' on Netflix? Check out my Nextflix Reviews


3 slackers, Alexxx, Darren & Joel, with airhead ideas but big dreams work as cleaners in a hotel. They get overtime for the evening in the hotel roof bar to cater at the party of a massive millionaire internet celebrity Bae Awadi and use the chance to pitch their idea for an interactive VR gaming suit to him. Things are looking good, Bae likes the idea and orders a cheque written. It's just a shame that a gang of criminals choose this evening to strike, intent in extorting Bae's father's cash. Things go awry and it ends up being a hostage situation but the trio manage to evade capture and set about taking back the building and claiming their investment.

The trio of protagonists are played by Adam DeVine, Anders Holm and Blake Anderson respectively and apparently are all from a comedy show called Workaholics? I've never heard of it at all, so either it never came to the UK or it just went under my radar. This film was cool for a quick late night mindless viewing but I'm not sure I'd bother seeking out the cast's previous work though.
The humour is pretty vulgar and gross out and very silly too and the trio aren't exactly loveable but I actually quite enjoyed the film. It certainly won't make my top film list ever but it had enough laughs and gross out groans to make me think that I hadn't totally wasted my 101 minutes. It's been very badly reviewed on sites like Rotten Tomatoes with a 9% approval rating but I'd say watch it for yourselves and judge it. Personally I thought it had some good unique ideas for some of the situations and some of the violent scenes were surprisingly dark I thought.

I wanted to say that it's like Die Hard mixed with.. but then I couldn't think of a gross-out, daft comedy to compare it to and I'm not sure if it's because I haven't watched enough modern comedies to find a comparison or if it's just unique. I suspect it's the former.

I did a little research into the actors backgrounds to see if I'd seen them on anything previously and found that DeVine was the voice of The Flash in The Lego Batman Movie and Anderson has a small part in Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse which I reviewed recently HERE.

*******************************************

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...