Thursday, April 26

Nextflix Reviews - DevilMan : Crybaby

Want to know what to 'watch next' on Netflix? Check out my Nextflix Reviews



Back in the early nineties I remember getting into Manga movies. I don't remember where I 1st learned of them to be honest. Maybe I saw an advert in a magazine or perhaps the awesome adverts featuring the music of Celtic Frost came as a trailer on a video shop rental or something. I do recall the 1st one that I got that opened the floodgates for me was Urotsukidōji, The Legend of the Overfiend. My interest in them never went overboard I have maybe 10 VHS in my collection but I never went beyond that. I actually had a Devilman video but it's been years since I watched it and as I have quite a lot of videos and no player anymore I don't know if I ever will!! One thing I do remember or maybe I mean don't remember is that the person who turned into Devilman didn't spend a load of the time crying. 



The story goes that devils are set to reclaim the earth from humanity by possessing and transforming them. Akira Fudo is told of this coming conflict by his childhood best friend Ryo Asuka who has the knowledge to get someone to take on a demon without losing their soul at the same time. At a nightclub Ryo creates the conditions to let the demon Amon into Akira without losing his humanity which is symbolised by his need to cry a lot?! At the same time other patrons of the club get fully possessed by demons and Akira/Amon aka DevilMan destroys them all. That's episode one and then over the next 9 episodes the demon possession plague grows and spreads with DevilMan fighting tooth & claw to try and stem the tide. As Akira when he's not fighting demons he has a bunch of school friends where he's in the track team and a long time crush Miki. Demons soon begin to threaten his friends and family and he has to protect them whilst trying to keep his demon nature secret from them.

Personally I didn't find myself connecting with the characters that much but I enjoyed the many demon fighting scenes although it was a while back since I watched it really and I can't say it was really that memorable. The ending was a bit of a surprise but I can't spoil that so I won't say anymore about it now.  I'm not sure how to summarise really, it was OK but certainly I didn't find it compelling exactly, it was just something to spend a late night watching just so I could tick it off my view list. Thinking about it now though with the intro here I am tempted to dig out a video player and go back over my old VHS Mangas. Actually thinking about it, I think the correct term for the movie versions is anime whilst the comic books are called manga. I'm just used to calling them Manga as that was the company name that bought out the videos. I'll do a blog about it if I get around to doing that at all.
*******************************************

   

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...