Wednesday, May 30

Nextflix Reviews - The Expanse

Want to know what to 'watch next' on Netflix? Check out my Nextflix Reviews

This is a show my brother recommended to me a while back, I was a bit slow to watch it so he kept reminding me over and over so it's safe to say he must have enjoyed it. I started with a couple of episodes and wasn't really captivated at 1st but my bro told me to persevere so I did and it does get more enthralling as it goes on. It starts slow but really picks up momentum until it draws you in and gets you rooting for the characters.

OK so obviously it's Science-fiction, it's very story heavy, there are a lot of characters spread over 3 planetary groups and various different factions. It's quite a feat to get your head around all the motivations and intrigues that are going down to be honest and I was a bit confused for a couple of parts. Especially when I started on season 2 it was so long since I saw the 1st season that it took me a couple of episodes to get back up to speed with it.

The main 3 factions/planets we have are the Earth, Mars and then there are the asteroid belt dwelling miners known colloquially as 'belters'. Earth and Mars are at loggerheads with each other and simmering ill will between them means they are almost ready to go to war. The hardy and wild 'belters' dislike both planets for how they have treated them in the past and there is a rebellious terrorist faction amongst them. There is a lot of diplomacy and intrigue going on behind the scenes on Earth where we follow the work of United Nations executive Chrisjen Avasarala (Shohreh Aghdashloo), as she tries to prevent war between the planets. Then we have a police detective Josephus Miller (Thomas Jane), looking for a missing woman and we also follow the crew of the Rocinante. 

A conspiracy is uncovered that threatens the fragile peace, a bio-weapon has been created and is tested in catastrophic fashion. Shrouded in mystery accusations begin to fly as paranoia grips the political factions, each suspecting the other of preparing for war. The crew of the Rocinante seek to wipe out the proto-molecule and also discover it's origins but there are more factions who want it for themselves, to use it for their own ends despite the potential dangers.


I have just finished watching the 2nd season of this show and it's pretty good but whilst I do enjoy it there are a few negative points to it at least to my mind anyway. Those negative points are not really caused by the show but by myself really. I am too much of a multitasker and get distracted from what's going on in the show whilst playing on my laptop at the same time. There are so many characters with different motivations that I find it a bit hard to keep up at times. This is a show that requires concentration to pick up all the layers and memory too to remember the names and which characters belong to which faction. This is a show that would benefit from multiple viewing I think so you can catch things you missed the 1st time around.

Season 3 has aired already but isn't up on Netflix yet, and the show was cancelled by Syfy but with an immediate & popular campaign to save it that followed it's been picked up for a 4th and possible even beyond that series by Amazon. So that probably means that future seasons may not be aired on Netflix but Amazon Prime instead! We'll have to wait and see.

The series is based on the Hugo Award winning The Expanse books by James S.A Corey. There are currently seven main novels and 5 shorter works in the series with more already planned so the source material for the TV show to still draw on is seemingly plentiful. The show has received much praise from fans and critics alike so it could well run for quite some time yet.

*************************************

 

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...