Monday, May 7

Nextflix Reviews - The Mist

Want to know what to 'watch next' on Netflix? Check out my Nextflix Reviews

Here's a show based on the 1980 short story by Stephen King that was made into a pretty good but bleak movie in 2007. The premise is much the same, a small town, Bridgeville, Maine is going about it's normal day to day mostly idyllic business when it is plunged into turmoil when a thick fog suddenly rolls in. In most cases fog is merely an inconvenience but not this one though, for one it doesn't float off or dissipate like good fog normally does and secondly it harbours all manner of monsters and madness. Oops sorry it's not fog it's mist.... is there a difference? I'm gonna have to Google that, is it that one comes off of the sea? Whatever the difference they are both scary and mysterious making the world seem an ethereal otherworldly place. I know James Herbert did The Fog book in 1975 and John Carpenter The Fog movie in 1980, (remade in 2005), all of which were pretty interesting too.
As well as monsters the mist seems to dredge memories and fears from the townspeople's minds and kills them in nasty ways. The remaining folk hide out in various locations and we see what happens in a small town when societal conventions break down and civilisation takes a back seat to the fight for survival. All those harboured animosities and petty grudges come to the fore and new rivalries emerge as differences of opinion on how to manage the situation arise. Characters that seemed all sweetness and light become cold & ruthless and I liked the unpredictability of the plot and the character development arcs were pretty interesting. I was a bit surprised by the climatic ending which turned my expectation on it's head rather. The plot was left open with the possibility for a 2nd series but it was unfortunately cancelled after the 1st 10 part season. I think it's worth a watch, I enjoyed it personally, it's not necessarily compulsive viewing but it filled a few hours entertainingly enough.

Whilst reading up on the original story I read that it was a heavy influence on some video games like the blockbusters Half-Life and Silent Hill and the lesser known Mindscape and Vorago.

********************************************

     

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...