Tuesday, May 15

Nextflix Reviews - Hungerford

Want to know what to 'watch next' on Netflix? Check out my Nextflix Reviews


For some reason, (I dunno if I imagined it or something), I had some weird notion that this was by the same team, or a follow up of the movie Pontypool! That was a Canadian film named after a town in Wales, although I guess Canada has a town of the same name too.  I must have just imagined that though, perhaps I should have just left this film there really in the imagination stage, maybe the film makers should have left it at that stage too!

Hungerford is a town in Berkshire in England, the only reason I ever heard of it before was because there was a massacre there back in 1987. It strikes me as a bit of an odd name for this film, it doesn't tell you anything about the movie with it's title other than this is where the film is set. The need to pin down it's geography seems pointless to me unless they are appealing to loyal Hungerfordites, (Hungerfordians?), hoping they'll buy it!!
In the film Cowen, (Drew Casson, who also directs), is staying with brother and sister Adam & Philippa, sleeping on their sofa. He's filming for some project or other so this film is all done in the very worst that shaky-cam camera work can manage. Actually it wouldn't surprise me if this movie itself was a university project of some sort. There is a strange storm that shorts out radios and mobiles and afterwards people start acting violently. The trio plus the lodger Kipper try and fathom out what is causing the chaos.

What can I say about this movie? I am a little bit torn really, my initial reaction is that it is just plain bad. Amateur actors guide unbelievable characters through a turgid plot with clumsy action sequences all filmed with headache inducing camera work. It's low budget for sure but it's kind of plucky as well, I want to salute their endeavour in putting it all together. Some of the special effects are passable and the overall story is efficient enough but the dialogue feels so unnatural and clunky that it gets annoying pretty quickly.

The enemies aren't zombies which makes a change I suppose but they might as well be except they are caused by something that looks like it belongs in a 50's sci-fi b-movie or a really early Dr. Who episode. Actually this film might have played better if they'd tried to parody either of those two styles, especially the former. If they'd filmed it in Black & White with a still camera instead of Go-Pros and hammed it up then it would have at least been amusing and perhaps deliberately over-acting would have disguised their actual limited acting talents and terrible dialogue. 

This is essentially a bargain basement Slither, I wouldn't recommend it to you to watch unless you've seen practically every other horror film that Netflix has to offer already.

*****************************************


     

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...