Friday, May 25

Geek Tee Friday - Wanted! - The Joker

Check out my other Geek Tee BLOGS


My geek tee for today is of that arch villain, the clown prince of crime, The Joker! And rather a snazzy little shirt it is too, showing him in all his insane glory. It's one of the four I picked up recently in my blog HERE, check it out.

The Joker was created by Bill Finger, Bob Kane, and Jerry Robinson and debuted in Batman #1 by DC Comics on 25th April 1940 which makes him 78 years and 1 month old today!! 


Although he has no super powers he has a mad cunning intellect and is a master at planning crazy schemes. He revels in chaos, mayhem and murder. For a time during the comics code regulations of the 50's he was more of a goofy prankster but more often than not now his japes are deadly. He is responsible for a lot of pain to the Bat-family, killing the 2nd Robin, Jason Todd, in  brutal fashion in Batman: A Death in the Family and also crippling Barbara Gordon, Bat Girl in the iconic story The Killing Joke.

He's been played by a number of actors over the years both on TV and films. Cesar Romero was The Joker of my youth, playing him for 3 seasons of the Batman TV show that ran from 1966 - 68 and the spin-off movie. Jack Nicholson starred as him in the Batman movie of 1989, a film I must admit I despised when I 1st saw it! Heath Ledger received many accolades for his crazed portrayal of him in The Dark Knight (2008). His was a tough act to follow indeed and many hated Jared Leto's Joker in Suicide Squad (2016). I thought the dislike for his Joker was unfair and actually rather enjoyed his manic take on the character.


Top: Cesar Romero & Jack Nicholson
Bottom: Heath Ledger & Jared Leto

In animation Joker has been voiced by a number of actors most notably Mark Hammil who is a Sci-fi hero after his portrayal of Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars series. It was interesting to see that a hero from another Sci-fi franchise, Brent Spiner, who played Data in Star Trek: The Next Generation also voiced him too! 


********************************************

   

No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...